07/06/2013

'Music is All' and The Sonic Self-portrait: One 8tracks Playlist a Month, for a Year

One day, back in early 2012, a friend introduced me to an unassumingly cool little website called 8tracks.com. Personally, I have always taken great pleasure from recommending songs to friends and family - as well as trying to get ahead of the popular music curve. I will happily spend valuable hours discussing musical trends and movements with likeminded, sonically engaged, individuals. It has always been apparent to me that music just has some inherently fulfilling quality about it.

When a talented artist invests some semblance of themselves into a track, music becomes something more than organised sounds. Music becomes a pure art form; supremely expressive and exploratory. Just a few seconds of music can cheat the rules of time, and transport you to different eras and memories.

Music is power.

The more you listen to life, the more you realise music is everywhere, and it is always playing a role. Its no wonder that I started to ask myself questions like; what effect has music had on me? Has the music I listen to defined me? And if so, why and how?

These are difficult questions to answer.

It seems music is now perhaps the most outwardly obvious foundation of my own identity. I latch onto ideas and world views embedded and vested into lyrics; and I score my own life to the interplay between the bass drums and chord changes that I find resonate. Essentially; music paints the landscape in which I walk, whilst also defining the pace at which I observe and enjoy it.

To better understand the impact music has had (and is continuing to have) on me, I decided to paint an audible self-portrait. A self-portrait painted by using of the works of others.

Every month I made a playlist, took a photograph, and wrote a small amount of text inspired by the time and place within which I then existed. The results of these efforts you see below. So, without furthermore ado, I present to you a year of my life (June 2012 to June 2013), time-locked into 12 playlists.

The Sonic Self-portrait


1.




4 new tracks from Newcastle (Toon) bands + 4 songs on repeat in June = Joon.

2.





A lacivious mix to get your pulse racing this greyest of summers..

3.





A bright soundtrack to a golden summer...

4.





A mix to reflect the bright end to summer, beckon cold crisp air, and celebrate transient autumnal light.

5.





A cascade of sound to enjoy as the leaves fall and clocks change...

6.





I skipped my monthly 8tracks mix for November because apparently November's purpose is advertising December. The songs in this mix aren't Christmas-y. We're celebrating November in December. Pow! Take that logic / world.

7.





A mere month after the Mayan time keeping device was defeated by people doing absolutely nothing, we usher in yet another new year. We reclaim our liberty and freedom to once again listen peacefully to the sounds of life. Here is a celebratory mix for 2013.

8.





The fab-best of Feburary 2013. Or at worst, the best of a killer month. Dance-y and chilled all at once. Saaaay what?

9.






Time marches, and we find ourselves in the month of March already. How did we make it this far so quickly?
This mix attempts to mimic the march of time by treading both slowly and quickly from Electro vibrations to Rock music - with the mix's final denouement cheating death and time itself.

10.






Spring returns, and brings with it our most primal compulsions. This mix explores the variety of emotions we feel when awaking from a prolonged winter hibernation; celebrating our optimism and hopes for a joyous summer.

11.





Watch out, April's vibe is getting remixed.

12.






May the rain fall,
and the tunes pour,
May the sun shine,
and the music become something more...



A hipster's guide to the 'Sonic Self Portrait'


The sonic portrait above spans a year, and in this time the sitter has changed, not just in pose and stance, but in character. The portrait is dynamic.

Though the portrait will perhaps change more, and mean more, for the subject than for any other viewer, it is drawn from, and draws on the works of others. It will hold countless other meanings for a myriad of anonymous souls, and in turn, these meanings will continue to change as the years pass. This portrait is the embodiment of an endless year.

Despite the portraits dynamism, and its ability to transcend time and audiovisual contexts, there is one constant truth present:

Music is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment