04/08/2013

Music Videos On Repeat - July/August 2013

Over the last year I have made countless playlists. However, I've never given much time to the humble music video. Until now!

Welcome to my first audio-visual playlist. Music videos are the name of the game, so, here are my 5 of favourites music videos from the last few weeks.

I've put a little blurb underneath each video as a sort of synopsis, but I'd love to get your interpretations and opinions of the videos in the comments below. Happy viewing!


Cold Bandit - Dust Clears



Slightly surreal on first watch, but the narrative of the video seems to make more sense every-time you watch it.  The vid also gets bonus points because the band filmed it. Plus, (one for the skaters) there is a kickflip executed towards the end of the vid - but it is performed on a make shift ice-board. Pretty frozen lake cool.

Lucy Rose - Bikes


I love juxtaposition, and this video is full of it. A small girl starts numerous fights with burly bikers over spilt milk, whilst pulling a series of comedy faces to express anger. The music is completely out of keeping with the subject matter of the video, probably due to the use of glockenspiel, yet it all seems to work together regardless. This video is light entertainment at its nonsensical best. 

Ramona Flowers - Lust and Lies



Honestly, the video is a little predictable despite its original concept, but, 1) it doesn't matter that much, and 2) the video does explore the lyrics of the song, turning them into an outlandish but visually engaging tale of woe. The ending of the story is left open - leaving you in a ponderous state. I guess thats good, if pondering floats your boat. 

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks 


In this video animation is combined with acted film, with the gap between the two being bridged by intense and impressive levels of make up. I guess there is a plot to be dissected too, but its very difficult not to be drawn in by the video's art. This is an immersive video, with plenty to look at. 


James Blake - Retrograde


In truth, I have no idea if anything actually happens in this video. You are taken on a journey, the music is chilling, and there is a comet - why? Not a clue. Its probably all cleverly connected to the word 'retrograde'. Either-way, I can't be sure that any of it actually means anything. I just know that I keep re-watching the video, find myself being distracted by the dazzling use of slow motion, and repeatedly forget if anything important has, will, or might happen. My brain hurts. 

(Bonus Video) 

Daughter - Youth


A text book no frills music video: A classic feeling black and white production, with well considered lighting and a band that actually look to be playing in time to their own record. The track is hauntingly powerful, and the impact of the music could have been lessened by a high budget production. I guess simple can sometimes win out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment