25/10/2011

James Blake - Enough Thunder - Tweeted 'First Listen' Review


Recently I have taken to tweeting my immediate reaction to albums as I listen to them, in their entirety, for the first time. I click play, let the album play through, and tweet. I haven't edited my tweets, just laid them out to read as an article as best they can.

Without further ado here are my tweets for: James Blake - Enough Thunder 

I acquired James Blake - Enough Thunder today. Time for a first listen review! #nowplaying

I've seen Blake live, and I have his self-titled album, as well as his CMYK EP. Based on this I've concluded he's a bit of a minimalist...Therefore, starting from now, you will only get one tweet per tack... ready, set, go!

Once we all agree - Blake has a unique and somewhat haunting ability to move a listener with the soundscapes he crafts and his voice alone

We might feel unsound - when ill fitting beats and most abrasive noise is melted by a few strokes of ivory

Fall Creek Boys Choir - theres a strange and talented dog playing the piano by this creek; and Bon Iver's going with the creek's flow...

A case of you - Soul-full, and a great demo of Blakes largely overlooked vocal ability. Some nice imagery, but also some clichés...

Not long now - experimental, but constructed intelligently. The chords change naturally, whilst supplementary concepts jostle for attention

Enough Thunder - a piano and voice accompaniment close out the E.P. The Piano travels, and the voice follows, as thunder chases lightning

No comments:

Post a Comment