24/10/2011

DZ Deathrays - 'Ruined my life' - Tweeted 'First Listen' Review

I have taken to tweeting my immediate reaction to albums as I listen to them, in their entirety, for the first time. I simply click play, let the album play through, and tweet. 

I haven't edited my tweets, just laid them out to read as an article as best they can. So without further ado here are my tweets for: DZ Deathrays - 'Ruined my life'




Just bought the new DZ Deathrays' album... first listen time?? It's been a while... All right twitter, lets see if this band are as cool as their name!  (and first listen reviewing) DZ Death Rays - Ruined My Life

First track, Blue Blood and straight off I'm getting that 'Death from Above 1979 feeling', and I love it. On to track two faster than the Flash can run after 16 cans of redbull...Track 2 - Licking Knives. I wonder if it was by licking knives the singer came to sound so much like Sebastien Grainger?

Track 3 - Yeah - another example of the different shades of fuzz you can put on a guitar and mix with effects pedals... darker in feel

The mess up - Track 4 - DZ have a very cohesive sound, they keep phasing from DFA to White stripes and back again... it's cool

Wow, onto track 5 faster than Sonic after over dosing on chilli dogs. This one's pace and pent up anger, brilliantly channeled.

Track 6 - the one that made me buy this E.P. Through decent headphones it's got a crushing introduction.

This steezy DZ E.P. is riff heavy; heavy being the operative...No idea where Gebbie Street is though...Google maps tells me Brisbane...

That's it, short and sweet. 6 songs, and refreshingly, none longer than 3 minutes 51.

At worst DZ Deathrays are a DFA 1979 tribute act who got bored and wrote new material. From where I stand, thats never going to be that bad.

"DZ - thrash pop band from Brisbane, Australia. Started playing house parties will most likely end at one. This is the middle part." 

No comments:

Post a Comment